My 30-Minute Skillet Lasagna is the perfect meal to get your family back to the dinner table.
This month’s recipe redux theme is “Back to the Dinner Table” and is asking us to share our favorite family meal. Growing up my family always ate dinner together around the kitchen table. It was a great way to catch up at the end of a long school or work day and get away from stimulation like our phones or the television. One of my all-time favorite family meals is lasagna. To me, nothing tastes more like the comfort of a home cooked meal than lasagna.
My family recipe although delicious can take over an hour to prepare and cook, so I was on a mission for a quick weeknight recipe that will have food on the table in only 30 minutes. My 30-minute Skillet Lasagna not only tastes like my mom’s famous lasagna recipe but also takes less than half the time to put together. Also, everything is cooked in one pot, making clean up a breeze.
For a healthy twist I used whole wheat farfalle (or bowtie pasta), and swapped whole milk cheese for part skim mozzarella and ricotta cheese. I also added in spinach once the pasta was cooked through for some added fiber, vitamins and minerals. This is also a great way to get your kids to eat more vegetables without them knowing!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey or 95% lean ground beef
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes, low sodium
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce, low sodium
- ½ cup water
- 2½ tablespoons fresh basil, chopped finely
- 2½ tablespoons fresh parsely, chopped finely
- 8 ounces whole wheat farfella pasta
- 3 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup low fat ricotta, divided
- 1 cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- In large skillet on medium heat add olive oil and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until onion translucent.
- Add in ground meat and cook through. Drain fat. Add in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes,water and 2 tablespoons basil, 2 tablespoons parsley and mix to combine.
- Add in pasta and push down to submerge in liquid. Turn down heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until pasta cooked through.
- Mix in ½ cup mozzarella, ½ cup ricotta and spinach.
- Top with dollops of remaining ricotta sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and herbs. Cover for 5 minutes to allow cheese to melt.