Whip up a batch of this Apple Cheddar Quick Bread to enjoy with your Thanksgiving leftovers!
It’s November 21st and you know what that means, Recipe Redux day and only 5 days until Thanksgiving! Yikes. This month’s recipe redux challenge is to bake a creative quick bread for the holiday season. Quick breads are just that, quick. They can be sweet, savory or both. I decided to go with something that was both sweet and savory and perfect for using Thanksgiving leftovers.
In my quick bread I used leftover mashed potatoes, which gives the bread a moist texture. For a healthy spin on a traditional quick bread I used part white whole wheat flour and plain Greek yogurt in the mix. For flavor I added in diced apples and cheddar cheese, basically the best combination ever created! This bread is savory and slightly sweet and the perfect vessel for enjoying all those yummy Thanksgiving leftovers. Top it off with some leftover Cranberry Apple Compote, honey butter, or make it into an open face sandwich with turkey and cranberry apple compote. In whatever combination you choose your taste buds will be thanking you 🙂 .
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 cup apples, peeled and diced
- 3 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degress.
- In a medium size bowl sift together flours, baking pwder, salt and sugar.
- In another medium size bowl, add eggs, butter, yogurt, milk and whisk to combine.
- Add wheat ingredients to dry ingredients just until combined.
- Fold in mashed potatoes, apple and cheddar cheese.
- In a well greased loaf pan, add in mixture. Cook for 40-50 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.