“I received free samples of Toufayan Pita mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am enter-
ing a recipe contest sponsored by Toufayan Bakeries and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
For a fun spin on French Toast try these Berry Stuffed French Toast Pitas using Whole Wheat Toufayan Pita Bread.
French Toast is one of my favorite brunch go-to’s. Especially when it’s stuffed with fruit and some yogurt. I usually use whatever leftover bread I have in the pantry. But never thought of using leftover pitas for stuffed french toast, until now! Not sure why I didn’t think of doing it before. First, pitas are already the perfect vessel for stuffing and are a portion controlled bread product.
Toufayan’s Whole Wheat Pitas are a healthy whole grain choice for sandwiches, pizzas, cut and used with your favorite spread or dip and now for enjoying at breakfast! At only 150 calories per pita and packed with 6 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber to help keep you full and satisfied all morning long.
These Berry Stuffed French Toast Pitas are stuffed with yogurt and berries; submerged in a bath of eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla; cooked to golden perfection in a skillet and then topped with more berries, maple syrup and powdered sugar. Breakfast could not get more delicious (or healthy)!
- 4 Whole Wheat Toufayan Pitas
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup low fat milk (or milk alternative)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups mixed berries, divided
- ½ cup non-fat vanilla Greek or Icelandic style yogurt
- cooking spray
- toppings(optional): maple syrup, powdered sugar
- Cut a slit half way around each pita. Keeping the other half intact separate the sides of the pita to form a pocket. Spread 2 tablespoons of yogurt on the inside of the pita then add in about ¼ cup berries laying evenly inside the pita. Repeat for remaining pitas.
- In a 9x12 size dish add eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Place 2 pitas into egg mixture at a time. Let sit in egg mixture for 2-3 minutes( the longer the better), then flip and let other side sit in egg mixture for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat with remaining pitas. (Note: You can start cooking first batch of pitas while other pitas are sitting in egg mixture)
- In a large skillet on medium heat, spray with cooking spray. Add in 2 pitas cooking for 3 minutes or until golden brown then flip and cook another 3 minutes on the opposite side. Repeat with remaining 2 pitas.
- Cut pitas into quarters. Top with remaining berries, maple syrup and powdered sugar.