Check out this California Caprese Panzanella Salad for a quick recipe for your Labor Day party. Full of summer produce and flavor!
Panzanella salad is traditionally a tomato and bread salad. It’s basically the perfect way to use up crusty, stale bread and those end of the summer tomatoes. For that Cali Caprese spin I have added in mozzarella and avocado. Two of my other favorite ingredients! I think of it as a deconstructed sandwich that you can eat with a fork!
Summer might be coming to an end but fear not, you can still enjoy those last few warm days and yummy summer produce! This recipe is a great way to use up those last few tomatoes and cucumbers you have in the garden to whip up a quick salad for your Labor Day party. This dish can also be a great base to top off some greens for lunch or add in some cooked chicken for a quick weeknight meal.
The key to the salad is using stale bread and then letting it soak up the tomato juices, olive oil and balsamic. Don’t fret the bread won’t get soggy, just slightly moist and full of flavor. Another hubby approved dish that everyone will love and you’ll love too because the salad only takes 10 minutes to prepare!
- 4 cups crusty whole wheat bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup Persian cucumber, diced
- 3 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
- 8 ounces whole milk mozzarella, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 avocado, diced
- salt/pepper to taste
- In a large bowl add crusty/stale bread, tomatoes, cucumbers, mozzarella and mix.
- Top with olive oil, balsamic and season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge for an hour.
- When ready to eat top with diced avocado.