Egg sandwiches take on a whole new life with these make-ahead Caprese Egg Cup Sandwiches!
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is “Break Out of Breakfast Boredom”. Breakfast isn’t just cereal and toast and eggs. There are so many options and ways to put fun twists on your basic breakfast favorites. Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it should be enjoyed!
I’ll let you in on a little secret of mine…(breakfast used to be my least favorite meal!) When I was a kid I would rather eat a Pop-Tart than cereal or eggs and toast. Yikes, I still can’t believe I used to eat that for breakfast! Today breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and something I look forward to every morning. As my love for food and experimenting has grown over the years so has my love for breakfast. I have discovered the endless possibilities that simple breakfast ingredients have to offer. Take basic eggs and toast for example. Add a few ingredients like vegetables, cheese and meat and you have yourself an elevated dish packed with flavor.
Enter…the Caprese Egg Cup Sandwich, a fun twist on an egg sandwich that is delicious enough to get you out of bed in the morning! Each egg cup sandwich is packed with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, pesto and prosciutto, yum!! Simply mix the ingredients together, pour into 9 greased muffin tin cups, bake for 20 minutes and you’ve got brunch for the family or breakfast for the week.
For an easy on-the-go breakfast, simply make the egg cups ahead and warm in the microwave for 45 seconds and serve on a toasted whole wheat English muffin.
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons pesto (homemade or store bought)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, diced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 3 ounces prosciutto
- salt/pepper to taste
- 9 whole wheat english muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9 tins in a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add eggs, milk, and pesto whisk to combine.
- Add diced mozzarella cheese and tomatoes to egg mixture and mix combine. Adding in salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut prosciutto pieces into 2 pieces. Layer 9 of the 12 muffin cups with prosciutto. Then equally fill each of the 9 muffin cups with the egg mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean.
- Let cool for 3-5 minutes. Run knife around the outside of each muffin cup to help release the cooked egg cup.
- Serve on top of a toasted whole wheat english muffin.