If you know me at all, or read through any of my blog posts you know I am a huge oatmeal for breakfast person. Hot, cold, baked you name it I love it! But I think I may have just found my new favorite fall breakfast, these Sweet Potato Bowls! Sweet potato for breakfast may sound a bit different to many of you. I wasn’t quite sure about it at first myself. But the sweetness in a sweet potato, makes it the perfect base for a sweet breakfast.
There are a couple ways to prepare the sweet potato. You can either bake it in the oven or microwave it. Baking is great for meal prepping while microwaving is a great quick breakfast option. Once the sweet potato is cooked cut it open and top with your favorite ingredients. I topped this sweet potato with cooked cinnamon apples, yogurt, nut butter and my maple cinnamon granola.
This also makes a great afternoon snack. Instead of a whole sweet I cut it in half and shared it with the little guy. I topped his half with whole milk yogurt and some peanut butter and banana and he ate it all up!
The key to making the sweet potato bowl a balanced meal or snack is topping it with a source of protein (i.e yogurt), fat (i.e nut butter or nuts/seeds) and fruit (i.e banana or apples)! Mix and match and make it however you like! If you enjoy a little crunch the granola is great or use some nuts instead of nut butter.
- 1 small to medium sweet potato
- 1 small apple ( or ½ large apple), peeled and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup vanilla Greek or Icelandic Style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon nut butter ( I used Trader Joe's Mixed Nut Butter)
- 2 tablespoons of granola
- Wash sweet potato then with a fork pork holes around the sweet potato. Cook in microwave for 3 minutes on high, flip then cook for another 2-3 minutes until tender all the way through.*
- While the sweet potato is cooking. In a small bowl add sliced apples and cinnamon and mix to combine. Then Using a medium saute pan on medium heat spray with cooking spray then add apple cinnamon mixture. Cook, mixing occasionally until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- To assemble the sweet potato bowl. Cut top of sweet potato down the middle halfway through the sweet potato. Open sweet potato and mash the middle slightly, then top apple slices, yogurt, nut butter and granola.