Warm up with this bowl of Crockpot Butternut Squash Apple Soup! Great for freezing and enjoying all season long.
Hello fall! Is it really fall? I am not sure I am ready for the cooler temperatures but I am ready for fall foods like apples, squash, and pumpkin. So to celebrate the first day of fall and this month’s recipe redux theme “Fantastic Freezer Meals”, I have created the ultimate healthy fall comfort food that you can enjoy all season long!
My Creamy Butternut Squash Apple Soup combines butternut squash and apples with onions, cinnamon and pumpkin spice for an all-around perfect fall soup. What is great about this recipe is that it can be frozen and prepared two ways.
The first way includes cutting up and preparing the main ingredients; butternut squash, apple and onion and freezing it in a zip lock bag until ready to make. When you are ready to cook the soup simply remove the zip lock bag from the freezer the night before and throw in a crockpot with 2 cups of vegetable broth and seasonings and cook on low for 8 hours. When you come home you will have dinner ready in less than 15 minutes!
The second way is to freeze the cooked soup in an airtight container or zip lock bag and enjoy within three months. Simply take out to defrost the night before and then warm up in a large sauce pan for 10-15 minutes.
Not only is this recipe easy to make but it is a great way to use up all those apples and squash you have and are not quite sure what to do with. I am a huge fan of making batches upon batches of soup and freezing it to have on those weeknights when I don’t have the time to cook. You can even freeze the soup in individual servings for those nights when you are the only one around.
To bump up the protein and nutrition in the soup I added evaporated milk and topped it with plain Greek yogurt. If you are looking for some crunch, top with roasted almods or pumpkin seeds. I also highly suggest serving it with half a cheddar and apple grilled cheese (my new obsession!) .
- 2 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch peices
- 1 large apple (or 2 small apples), cored and cut into 1 inch peices
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 cups of vegetable broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- salt to taste
- In a crockpot add butternut squash, apple, onion, 2 cups vegetable broth, cinnamon and pumpkin spice.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Using an immersion blender or a blender to puree mixture. Add in additonal 1 cup vegetable broth to thin. Then add in evaporated milk and blend until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Garnish individual soups with plain Greek yogurt and parsley.