Cooking with a toddler is highly entertaining. It’s fun seeing them attempt to poor or mix ingredients and try new foods and make a mess doing it! I will say I tend to gravitate to the “easier” recipes were limited ingredients and meal prep time is involved. Mainly because my 18 month olds time span is limited. I have also learned that cooking doesn’t need to be complicated to be fun or a positive learning experience.
When I got Birch Benders just add water pancake mix samples I knew I had to come up with a fun recipe that I could involve my little guy in. With only two ingredients and simple steps it was a ne brainer. And I loved the fact that I didn’t need to use any eggs so if he decides to stick his hands in the batter and eat it (which of course he did) there would be no raw eggs to worry about! To mix things up a bit I decided to make the pancake mix into mini muffins or bite sized pancake bites to eat with breakfast or a snack. This way he could help add toppings and I wouldn’t need to be flipping any pancakes they could al bake at the same time.
What I love about this recipe, besides the fact that it’s so easy but that you can make them your own and get your kids to try new foods! Choose a few different toppings, a couple you know your kids love, a couple that they are learning to like and one new food. Lay them out in front of them and have them help sprinkle the toppings on and have a little taste test. My little guy mostly sampled the toppings while I decorated them. He’ll eventually get the idea!
I also am a huge fan of topping my pancakes with peanut butter and yogurt so we made a simple 2-ingredient yogurt peanut butter sauce that you can drizzle over the pancake bites or serve as a sauce for your kids to dip the pancake into.
Even if you don’t have kids this recipe is also adult friendly and makes for a great make ahead breakfast on-the-go!
Check out this blog post for more tips on how to involve your toddler in the kitchen.
- 1 cup pancake mix ( I used Birch Benders Buttermilk Mix)
- ⅔ cup water
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- toppings: fresh fruit(berries, diced apple, sliced banana), dried fruit, shredded coconut, seeds, finely chopped nuts, chocolate chips, etc.
- Yogurt Peanut Sauce
- ½ cup whole milk vanilla yogurt
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a 24 cup muffin tin spray about 8-10 with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl add pancake mix and water. Mix to combine.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop mixture into ~ 8-10 of the mini muffin cups.
- Sprinkle each with favorite toppings.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- While pancakes bites are baking make the yogurt sauce. In a small bowl add yogurt and peanut butter, mix to combine.
- Let pancakes bites cool in tin for 5 minutes then remove.
- When ready to eat drizzle with yogurt sauce or place yogurt sauce in a small bowl for dipping.
-measure out ingredients
-pour in water, pancake mix and cinnamon
-scoop mix into muffin tin
-spinkle on toppings
-measure out and mix sauce