With Cinco de Mayo just around the corner I thought it was fitting to share one of my favorite new ways to enjoy salsa, guacamole or basically any dip!
Whoever invented the scoop-able tortilla scoops is genius! I admit to only purchasing them because they make enjoying any dip that much easier. I ended up with a bunch of leftover corn and flour tortillas this past week and decided to try out making my own scoop-able tortillas. End result…super easy and delicious!
First cut out 3-inch circles out of flour and/or corn tortillas using a cup or cookie cutter. A 9-inch tortilla makes 7 mini tortillas, while a smaller 5-6 inch tortilla makes 2 mini tortillas. The remaining scrapes you can cut up into strips and smaller pieces.
Then in a mini muffin tin, gently press the mini tortillas into each cup. The tortilla strips you can place evenly on a small cookie sheet or baking dish. For a crunchier tortilla lightly spray the tortilla strips with cooking spray and toss to combine. Place both the mini muffin tin and baking sheet into a 375-degree oven for about 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
The end products are these delicious tortilla scoop and strips. Use the strips to scoop up your favorite dip and the strips to top salads, chili or snack on!
One thing I will say is they don’t last as long as the stuff you buy in the store but given how easy they are to make and how much better they taste, it’s worth making them when you need them!
- 4, 9" flour tortillas OR 12 corn tortillas ( you can also do a combination of the two as shown)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a 3-inch cookie cutter or cup cut circles into the tortillas ( a 9-inch tortilla should make about 7 mini tortillas and a 5-6inch tortilla with make about 2)
- Cut up the scrapes/leftover tortilla into strips.
- Using a mini muffin tin, gently press each cut mini tortilla into each muffin cup.
- Using a small baking sheet even spread out tortilla strips then lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Place both the mini muffin tin and small baking sheet into the oven and bake tortillas for about 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the tortilla strips with salt.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Remove mini tortillas form the muffin tin.
- Enjoy within 24 hours. Will last up to 48 hours if stored in an airtight container or ziploc bag at room temperature.