Happy July 21st! How is this summer flying by so fast already?? This month’s Recipe Redux theme is having us “Beat the Heat” with a Slow Cooker/Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker recipe. If you have already read my Slow Cooker Meatballs and Sauce recipe post you know I’m a huge fan of using my slow cooker in the summer for meals. If you haven’t head over after checking out this pot, the recipe is a good one!!
I decided to mix things up a bit and use my Instant Pot that I got this past christmas to make a dinner recipe instead. The instant pot is a great purchase to get your dinner ready and on the table in 30 minutes without having to use your stove or oven. It’s basically the greatest invention for us mothers and working professionals who want dinner done quickly.
Anyways I’ve been on a curry kick lately and thought I would put together a coconut curry dish with chicken. Prep times takes about 10-15 minutes to chop and measure ingredient then saute the chicken. Then just add everything else to the pot, put on the lid and set to high for 12 minutes. When it’s done manually release the pressure and enjoy! Yup its really that simple.
I paired it with brown rice and a side salad. My key to getting this all done in 30 minutes is to use a rice cooker to cook the rice. Start this when you start your prep. Or use microwavable brown rice, just as healthy and super easy! Then make a salad using whatever leftover veggies you have while the curry cooks. This recipe made a lot so we had leftovers for dinner and another lunch the same week. You could also freeze some of the leftovers for later.
The little guy was a big fan as well! I didn’t use the seeds from the jalepeno so it wasn’t too spicy, but had a little zing which he didn’t seem to mind.
- 1.5 pound chicken ( about 3-4 chicken breasts), cut into large dice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, large diced ( about 1½ cups)
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and small diced * leave in seeds if you like it spicy
- 1½ tablespoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried basil ( or ¼ cup fresh, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro (or ¼ cup fresh, chopped)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- fresh cilantro, garnish (optional)
- In an instant pot turn on saute function. Add olive oil then add in chicken peices. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Turn off saute function.
- Add in potato, red onion, jalepeno pepper, curry powder, chili powder, basil, cilantro, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Place lid on instant pot and make sure lid dial is set to sealed. Turn on manual function, set to high and 12 minutes.
- Once instant pot is done cooking. You can manually release the dial to vented to let the steam and pressure release.
- Remove lid and serve with cooked brown rice.