“I received free samples of Libby’s Fruits & Vegetables mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Libby’s Fruits & Vegetables and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
This Peach Gorgonzola Flatbread with Uncured Bacon and Arugula is a quick and easy appetizer for any summer festivity!
Quick, Easy and Trendy? Yes please! I am all about convenience when time is not on my side. Which seems frequent during the summer months with a 15 month old getting into everything around the house! Libby’s Fruit and Vegetable product make whipping up a meal or quick snack super easy! They are also a great way to get in a serving of vegetables or fruit without having to worry if you have fresh fruit available. What I love about their fresh fruit products is that they are canned in juice not syrup so you aren’t getting a bunch of added sugar into already sweet fruit. In my opinion they also taste much better!
I decided to pair Libby’s Fresh Peach Slices with one of Google’s 2016 food trends, uncured bacon. When I was pregnant uncured bacon was my best friend. Typically bacon is cured with artificial nitrates, which gives bacon its nice red color. Unfortunately these artificial nitrates have been link to cancer risk and since no one is really sure what these nitrates might do to a baby in utero lets say it’s just best to be safe and avoid them. Uncured bacon is still cured but usually with salt or natural nitrates like celery juice. These products are safe for both baby and momma! Not pregnant? If you eat bacon infrequently I don’t think nitrates will cause cancer but if you like to indulge frequently incorporating some uncured bacon might be a good idea.
Libby’s Sliced Peaches and this yummy uncured bacon, Gorgonzola and arugula make a delicious combination! I love the sweet and salty combination…so good! You can serve this up as an appetizer at a dinner party or summer festivity or make one for lunch! It only takes under 20 minutes to prepare and cook and is oh so yummy. I baked them in the oven, but if you just want to make one a toaster oven should also work well.
I gave it a go with the little guy and he wasn’t a huge fan of the gorgonzola. Instead I made him a flatbread with mozzarella, bacon and peaches and he enjoyed it!
- 4 whole wheat flatbreads (about 2 ounces per flatbread)
- 4 ounces part skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces gorgonzola cheese
- 8 slices uncured bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 can Libby's Sliced Peaches, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cups arugula
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Lay two flatbreads on each baking sheet.
- To each flatbread sprinkle on 1 ounce of mozzarella cheese, ½ ounce gorgonzola, 2 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon, and about 8 slices of peach.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and flatbread is golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven let cool for 2-3 minutes then top each flatbread with ½ cup arugula. Slice into 6 slices.