“I received free samples of Progresso Cooking Stock mentioned in this post at no cost. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Progresso Cooking Stock and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
It may not look like winter here in Boston but it sure does feel like it. These past couple weeks I have been all about soups, stews, chili, ramen, you name it! And just in time as I recently received samples of Progresso’s new line of premium Cooking Stocks to cook with. The new line is made with real simmering bones, vegetables and herbs for a rich full body flavor that is perfect for winter soups and stews. It is also made without any artificial flavors and with only 15-45 calories/95-420mg sodium/0-1g fat per serving. You can feel good about what you are feeding yourself and your family.
My recipe using Progresso’s Vegetable Stock was inspired by yet another one of my favorite Persian soups, Ash-E-Reshteh. Ash is common Persian thick soup that is loaded with lentils, beans, vegetables, herbs and of course flavor and nutrition. I love this recipe because it is packed with pantry staples. Don’t get scared by the long ingredient list! One serving of this soup contains only 230 calories, and is packed with 12g of protein and 8g of fiber. It is also a great source of Vitamin A, K and potassium. The Progresso Vegetable Broth gives the soup added depth of flavor that compliments all the vegetables and herbs in the dish. Overall this dish is the ultimate healthy comfort food great for a cold wintery day.
This soup is also great served with a dollop of tangy plain Greek yogurt. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons tumeric
- 4 cups Progresso Vegetable Cooking Stock
- 5-6 cups water
- 1 cup lentils, dried
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- ¾ cup green onions, chopped
- 16 ounces of frozen spinach
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 4 ounces whole wheat linguini
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- additional salt/pepper to taste
- top with non fat plain Greek yogurt
- In a large soup pot on medium heat add olive oil. Ad in onions and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in salt, pepper, tumeric, vegetable stock, water, lentils, parsley, green onions, spinach. Bring to a boil and cook for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add in remaining ingredients: chickpeas, red kidney beans, linguini, dried mint, and lemon juice. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until pasta tender.
- Serve with plain Greek yogurt